Tomato Sauce with Tuna and Garlic
By Marcella Hazan
Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 14 oz / 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 7 oz / 200 g tin tuna (in olive oil if possible)
- a knob of butter
- 8 oz / 200 g pasta
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- Sauté the garlic in the olive oil until it turns pale gold.
- Add the canned tomatoes with their juice, stir, and simmer steadily for around 20 minutes, until the oil floats free.
- Turn off the heat.
- Drain the tuna (optional) and flake it into the tomatoes, stirring to distribute it evenly. Taste for seasoning and correct for salt if necessary. Add a little black pepper, the butter and the parsley, and mix again.
- Toss with cooked pasta.
Note: Since this recipe was written several decades ago, the size of tuna cans is smaller. Add more tuna as needed.